[lbo-talk] Joss Whedon, union militant

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 08:37:20 PST 2007

I haven't seen much discussion, on the LBO list on the writer's strike. One thing good that has come out of it is "fan" support for the writers. Besides that I get to hear my favorite show-runner/writer/director Joss Whedon talk like a class war militant.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/840/840597p2.html

*IGN TV: What do you think it will take to get things to change and to come to an agreement?

Whedon:* We have to break them. These are multi-billionaires who could give a rat's ass about any of the issues they're actually talking about except for one – If they can break this union, then they can break them all. If they can do that, then they can control everything. They already, thanks to the [repeal of] Fin-syn laws and all of the sort of vertical integration, control almost everything. They're very close. They have basically one last thing to figure out how to own and rule in and we're it. And it's simply not going to happen. The only way we can break them is just by stopping. By being out here instead of in there. And we'll do it. We'll do it for a year. We'll do it forever. We'll do it until somebody else steps up and says "Hey, we'll run a business a different way." We'll work for those people instead. What you're going to find in Hollywood is maybe a lot fewer millionaires, but a lot more working people with steady jobs, because these guys can not crush us. It will not happen.

*IGN TV: If you did encounter someone saying "I just want my shows back!", what would you say to them?*

*Whedon:* No fan is saying that. The people who sit in front of the TV because they can't figure out what else to do might be saying that. Fans are not saying that. Fans are getting on the internet and showing support and coming to this rally and organizing in a way that I wish I could ever. Fans are the people who really, absolutely get it. And so not one of them has ever said to me "I'm upset that I'm not going to get to see your shows because of the strike." They say "Get what you need. Do what you have to. Make it right. And then we'll get the show."