[lbo-talk] IQ & race, again

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 09:54:40 PST 2007

Doug posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but Malcolm Gladwell has a good piece on the IQ/race controversy, touching on Flynn, Murray, Saletan, and the rest, at:

<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2007/12/17/071217crbo_books_gladwell>

Like you, I'm a bit taken aback: this is a good article.

Gladwell writes clearly, using none of the "Tipping Point" and "Blink" gimmickry which made him a darling of the technocratic smart set.

And it's very timely; not only on the media macro scale of the renewed IQ/race debate (which always manages to center around the same question, asked with varying degrees of camouflage: why are white folks so darned awesomey awesome and black folks so dumb?). It's also handy on the micro scale of my little social set.

Handy, because I'm now having to endure dark night of the soul email conversations with my liberal associates who tentatively wonder if Grandpa's racist tirades about black intellectual inferiority were so totally off-base ("oh, but not you Dwayne....or Barack, or Colin Powell, or...").

Tossers.

.d.