[lbo-talk] Self-Consciousness (was Re: Shakespeare)

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Dec 11 10:24:31 PST 2007

See how well an ant lives on its own. Social insects are much more social than human beings.

I'm not even sure that's true of "higher" animals. How are human beings "more social" than other primates, or pack animals in general, not to mention animals that live in huge colonies like bats?

^^^^^

CB: Most of what humans do is cultural and linguistic. Culture and language are gigantic connections to other humans, including dead generations of humans. We are mostly socially constructed. Other species's instincts , which reside in the individual, are more important in shaping their activity.

Ants are social for non-human animals, but not more social than humans. An ant can function almost from birth. A human cannot function on its own at birth. It need social care more than a baby ant.