[lbo-talk] Shakespeare

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Wed Dec 12 00:18:36 PST 2007

>>> <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> 12/11/07 9:44 PM >>>
Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Shakespeare To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Though he is my favorite writer, Joyce was an awful poet, as he acknowledged.

No, you've misunderstood. The parallel that I was making, obviously not explicitly enough, was that Shakespeare was a poetical dramatist in the way that Joyce was a poetical novelist. In Joyce's case this was referring to his tendency to create artifical language, rather than use common speech, as in Finnegan's Wake for example. This then is seen as an anti-novelising tendency on the very ground of the novel, so to speak. I have never seen or heard of any of his actual poetry, so can't comment on that. Tahir