[lbo-talk] Shopping advice (Re: "Nothing is too good for the working class" )

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 16:17:47 PST 2007

> > How do you make sure it's the right size?

You ask for actual measurements. Look in your size range, but labeling is not an exact science, and women's labeling is hopeless. Bear in mind that US and Euro measurements are different, e.g., US 42 = Euro 52, Make sure whether the measurements are in inches or cm, mostly they are in inches in US eBay. Better to buy a little to big (not alot) than too small.

Anyone who is serious and honest will provide you with complete measurements. Ask for chest pit to pit, shoulders seam to seam, sleeves shoulder to cuff (better too long than too short, and easy to adjust), length collar to hem, waist if that matters; and for pants, waist and inseam. Ask if there is material that can be let out and how much.

Some buyers (not many) will allow for returns within a period; others do if there was an error in measurement, significant deviation from description, or failure of authenticity. Low prices generally mean no returns.

You have to do some research to recognize fakes; there re a lot of fake designer clothes out there, especially the better known brands. This there are more fake Armanis than there are fake Canellis or Kitons or Brionis. Always ask to see the labels in the pix. Honest people will show them to you in a legible way. If you are interesting in Armani in particular there is a guy named Armani King who has some very good guides to authentic clothes; you can look these up free on line. There are lots of other guides.

Pay attention to ratings. Someone with a record of 1000s of high ratings is a better bet, but I have got good deals from people who are just starting out. Good ratings mean 99.6% positive or better; I wouldn't buy from someone with lower than that unless the circumstances were exceptional:. just a few sales, one obviously crazy negative revenge rating. I would not buy from people with lots of negative ratings even if they have a high overall average rating, or anyone I feel uncomfortable with for whatever reason, even if it was only a hunch or a feeling.

Use eBay and Paypal; they have a Buyer Protection plan that covers most purchases up to $2K.

All that said you will almost always have to a purchase altered by a tailor. Depending on how much work this involves it can range from $5-10 (to shorted the slkeeves, say) to $35-50 for a big job (taking in a jacketm relining the and taking in the pants, etc.). If you buy good clothes, find a tailor you trust who is experienced, don't just use the neighborhood cleaner.