[lbo-talk] "Nothing is too good for the working class"

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Dec 15 06:15:55 PST 2007

andie wrote:

> Why shouldn't the
> >proletariat wear Prada? Who gave the Devil a monopoly
> >on fine clothes? Fuck the Mao suit and the jeans,
> >Vuitton for all!

speaking of: finally saw that film on your advice. where does the expression come from "The Devil Wears Prada"? Or was it a coinage from the book itself with no prior history? i should prob. google it, huh?

The film was charming, though it felt so formulaic. I guess I'm just getting fed up with the formulaic which results from what Michael Ventura says is the dictate for any Hollywood writer: make sure they leave the theater happy. And when I turn to indies, some of them just bore the hell outta me and seem to just plod along. Maria Full of Grace... maybe I was just tired from a long week and holiday guests, but that film was just boooooooooring. Babel wasn't bad, though it would have been a plodder had it not been playing with your head in terms of the sequence of events. Maybe I just suck at appreciating film.

Any recommends for something that is not a snoozefest?

Btw, a belated public thanks to Dwayne for knowing that name of the film I asked about: La Domenica specialmente. But damn, I can only find it used at $60 and it only plays on DVD player from a certain world zone. Fuckers!

BTW, for a beautiful film, I recommend La Belle et La Bete from Jean Cocteau. Gorgeous.

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)