[lbo-talk] Nation roundtable on Venezuela

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Sat Dec 15 17:11:49 PST 2007

>The Nation has a web only - apparently it's not important enough for
>the mag - roundtable on Venezuela. Greg Grandin's contribution is, of
>course, the best:
>
><http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071224/grandin>.

I finally got to this, and the other contributions to the forum, and what I read sounded like the standard-issue Chavez-is-hero defense favored by most northern leftists.

It's irritating that people can only explain the mass abstentions -- of "natural" Chavez supporters, of course -- as being caused by the chavistas' mistakes: the referendums were too complicated, not explained well enough, not debated fully, etc. What about the "positive" refusal of voting? Why isn't abstention considered a political statement rather than a sign of confusion or apathy?