[lbo-talk] Fewer teens in workforce than in the past

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 16 09:39:51 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 12:27 PM, B. wrote:

> Experts chalk up the trend to several factors: More
> teens are in school than a decade ago, many parents
> prefer their kids to focus on their studies, and in
> some circles, teen labor almost has become a stigma
> because it implies the family needs the money.

No one really knows, actually - I don't think there are any definitive studies of the trend. Other suggestions: immigrants are taking formerly teen-dominated jobs, and older workers are staying in the labor force longer (the 45+ set, including the 65+ set, have done better in this expansion than younger age groups), dispalcing teens, because employers think geezers are more reliable.

Doug