[lbo-talk] "Nothing is too good for the working class"

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 11:15:36 PST 2007

Obviously you've never tried on any of these clothes. You want physical comfort, wear Armani, properly tailored it fits and it feels glorious. If you have to wear a suit (I do and I like to anyway), it's no less convenient than wearing a no-name suit from the Men's Wearhouse or J.C. Penny's, and a lot more comfortable.

I also recently acquired an Armani shearling jacket that is so comfortable I have a hard time taking it off in a warm house; outside it's so convenient that even in Chicago winter weather you don't need to wear anything more than a t-shirt or at most a light sweater under it.

My mom, a textile artist, which is possibly where I got my clotheshorsey inclinations, said that you will never regret getting the best you can afford. She died with over 200 pairs of designer shoes!

Speaking to WD's comment about reverse snobbery and faux working-classery, I recall an incident in the 80s. We were in an Ann Arbor peace group, all white, dressed like Ann Arbor peaceniks (worn jeans, t-shirts, no makeup for women, long hair, dressed down -- I wouldn't say consciously, it was just the style).

We were working with these activists from Detroit, Black Women for a Better Society, and invited some of them to AA to come to talk to us about whatever. All of them were lower-income, relatively, lived in the Detroit ghetto. They turned up dressed to the fucking nines, designer everything, high Ferragamo heels, beautifully made up, hair coiffed -- they looked fabulous, it was like they were going to the opera. And hot! Yikes! The temperature in that room rose about 30 degrees! "Good to look" at didn't even come close.

Well, the Sparts (all white and male) turned up to heckle because one member of the BWBS was a member of a group they disapproved of; there were several of them, rather large, and aggressive, in your face. This was stupid, apart from the politics of white men shouting down Black women, these were _tough_ black women. They could take you apart at the joints. They were very pretty, but not to mess with.

The Sparts wouldn't stop, and I saw one of the BWBS women quietly taking off her Ferragamo high heels and cradling one in her hand, heel out, another just as quietly slid off a Vuitton belt with a large sharp buckle, and I bolted to get security before these tough women turned the idiot Sparts into sausage.

The Sparts were escorted out, the BWBS gave its talk, and Sparts wrote us up in the Worker's Vanguard as having called the cops on them, being quite unappreciative of how we had saved their stupid asses.