[lbo-talk] Krugman

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 16 12:01:26 PST 2007

Doug, Yes there are always periods in which capital is exported or caught up in frenzied speculation but these are usually short lived before capital finances a new upsurge in real production. That is part of the normal functioning of capitalism, and perhaps the drop in the dollar will chase out destabilizing speculative capital flows and abet US mfg capacity. Don't see the confidence for that at present. Yours, Rakesh

On Dec 16, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>> On Dec 15, 2007, at 2:18 PM, bhandari at berkeley.edu wrote:
>>> Krugman means that there was a tremendous amount of lending that
created the bubble, as new home buyers were allowed to purchase homes with little or no money down, and as lenders allowed
>>> people who already owned home to refinance mortgages on the
>>> basis of fictitious home price gains.
>>> Why the speculative lending?
>> Because it looked like a good way to make money. Why else?
> I don't think this tautology is responsive to Rakesh's question. It
could be reworded, "Why did this look like a _better_ way of making money than _other_ available options (ASSUMING such options were available)?" And if other options were _not_ available, why was that? Your answer assumes the money men did nto canvass opportunities but merely responded to an isolated stimulus as though the rest of the world
> did not exist.

Everyone didn't get into the business. Bankers kept making ordinary working capital loans, venture capitalists kept funding early-stage firms, civil engineers kept designing and building bridges, etc. etc. Some people and some capital shifted out of other pursuits and into housing because it the risk/reward ratio was favorable. After a certain point, a bubble attracts all kinds of amateurs. Then it bursts. It's an ordinary story of ordinary capitalism, like it's been working for centuries. Ten years earlier it was dot.coms; twenty years earlier it was junk bonds; thirty or thirty-five, the Nifty Fifty....in the 1920s it was RCA and utility holding companies....in the 1870s it was railroads.... It's always something.

Doug