[lbo-talk] Happy Worldwide Atonality Day!

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Sun Dec 16 23:19:37 PST 2007

Not a big fan of Alex Ross, but this is something I can get behind.

By my calcuations, this Monday, December 17, is the hundredth anniversary of atonality. Celebrate as you wish. On that date in 1907, Arnold Schoenberg sketched the song "Ich darf nicht dankend" ("I must not in gratitude [sink down before you]"), music in which conventional tonal harmonies grow exceedingly scarce. (You can listen on the Schoenberg Center Jukebox; scroll down to Op. 14.) The composer supplied no key signature in his draft, although he later added one (B minor) to the clean copy and published score. [...]

<http://www.therestisnoise.com/2007/12/100-years-of--1.html>