[lbo-talk] behavioral drugs and mass slayings

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 17 13:36:29 PST 2007

from Sam Smith:

OUR PIECE on the possible connection between prescription behavioral drugs and mass slayings stirred up a lot of correspondence pro and con, with the latter missing a key point: we didn't blame the drugs, we blamed officials for not investigating their possible role and the media for ignoring it. As we pointed out, a drug that works for a million people but causes violence or suicide in just one percent means 10,000 people who could kill themselves or others.

Speaking of which. . .

ABC NEWS - It was the first, anguished thought that sprung to the mind of the mother of the Omaha mall sniper Robert Hawkins when she realized her son was the killer. . . Rodriguez said her son's life had been a challenge from the start. She divorced Hawkins' father when the boy was 3-years-old, she said, and by 5 he was taking prescription Ritalin and Zoloft. . .

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3994022&page=1