[lbo-talk] A Gigantic Complex of Prosthetic Devices

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 12:28:13 PST 2007

BLDGBLOG's Geoff Manaugh interviews Kim Stanley Robinson about the illusion of escape via disaster, the politics of design, the failures of capitalism, magnificent future ruins and comparative planetology, among other things.

excerpt:

BLDGBLOG: Aestheticizing these sorts of disasters can also have the effect of making climate change sound like an adventure. In Fifty Degrees Below, for instance, you wrote: "People are already fond of the flood… It was an adventure. It got people out of their ruts." The implication is that people might actually be excited about climate change. Is there a risk that all these reports about flooded cities and lost archipelagoes and new coastlines might actually make climate change sound like some sort of survivalist adventure?

Robinson: It's a failure of imagination to think that climate change is going to be an escape from jail – and it's a failure in a couple of ways.

For one thing, modern civilization, with six billion people on the planet, lives on the tip of a gigantic complex of prosthetic devices – and all those devices have to work. The crash scenario that people think of, in this case, as an escape to freedom would actually be so damaging that it wouldn't be fun. It wouldn't be an adventure. It would merely be a struggle for food and security, and a permanent high risk of being robbed, beaten, or killed; your ability to feel confident about your own – and your family's and your children's – safety would be gone. People who fail to realize that… I'd say their imaginations haven't fully gotten into this scenario.

It's easy to imagine people who are bored in the modern techno-surround, as I call it, and they're bored because they have not fully comprehended that they're still primates, that their brains grew over a million-year period doing a certain suite of activities, and those activities are still available. Anyone can do them; they're simple. They have to do with basic life support and basic social activities unboosted by technological means.

And there's an addictive side to this. People try to do stupid technological replacements for natural primate actions, but it doesn't quite give them the buzz that they hoped it would. Even though it looks quite magical, the sense of accomplishment is not there. So they do it again, hoping that the activity, like a drug, will somehow satisfy the urge that it's supposedly meant to satisfy. But it doesn't. So they do it more and more – and they fall down a rabbit hole, pursuing a destructive and high carbon-burn activity, when they could just go out for a walk, or plant a garden, or sit down at a table with a friend and drink some coffee and talk for an hour. All of these unboosted, straight-forward primate activities are actually intensely satisfying to the totality of the mind-body that we are.

So a little bit of analysis of what we are as primates – how we got here evolutionarily, and what can satisfy us in this world – would help us to imagine activities that are much lower impact on the planet and much more satisfying to the individual at the same time. In general, I've been thinking: let's rate our technologies for how much they help us as primates, rather than how they can put us further into this dream of being powerful gods who stalk around on a planet that doesn't really matter to us.

Because a lot of these supposed pleasures are really expensive. You pay with your life. You pay with your health. And they don't satisfy you anyway! You end up taking various kinds of prescription or non-prescription drugs to compensate for your unhappiness and your unhealthiness – and the whole thing comes out of a kind of spiral: if only you could consume more, you'd be happier. But it isn't true.

I'm advocating a kind of alteration of our imagined relationship to the planet. I think it'd be more fun – and also more sustainable. We're always thinking that we're much more powerful than we are, because we're boosted by technological powers that exert a really, really high cost on the environment – a cost that isn't calculated and that isn't put into the price of things. It's exteriorized from our fake economy. And it's very profitable for certain elements in our society for us to continue to wander around in this dream-state and be upset about everything.

The hope that, "Oh, if only civilization were to collapse, then I could be happy" – it's ridiculous. You can simply walk out your front door and get what you want out of that particular fantasy.

[...]

full -

<http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/comparative-planetology-interview-with.html>

.d.