[lbo-talk] Quote of the Day - from 1922

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 18:05:37 PST 2007

"It's a good thing the average person's sense of humor is not highly developed. Otherwise, we might either revolt against the stupidity of civilization - or laugh ourselves to death at our dignified solemnity."

-- from "Big Laughs Coming," article in 1922 Modesto Evening News about how silly and absurd then-modern conventions would seem to future generations, when "automatic machinery and inventions will free men from industrial slavery" and "[c]heap, fast-flying airplanes will enable all to live in the country."

http://paleo-future.blogspot.com/2007/12/big-laughs-coming-1922.html

[great site, btw.]