[lbo-talk] Govt. gives the troops some lovin', doggy style

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 19:27:36 PST 2007

US troops in Iraq to get some doggie love Dec 19 11:51 AM US/Eastern

The US army will for the first time send skilled therapy dogs to Iraq to help comfort traumatized soldiers struggling to overcome mental health problems.

Black labrador retrievers, Boe and Budge, who have been in training for months, will be stationed with the Army's combat stress units in the Iraqi towns of Tikrit and Mosul to provide "emotional comfort" to the troops.

[...]

"Dogs have been the unsung heroes of our war efforts. Bringing therapy dogs into Iraq will take dogs to the next level on the battlefield," said Major Stacie Caswell, the commander of the 85th.

"The therapy dogs will be another method that our Combat Stress teams can use to break down mental health stigma -- to assist soldiers so that when they go home 'Iraq is not on their backs.'"

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=071219165150.vs62qrxf&show_article=1&catnum=1