[lbo-talk] Govt. gives the troops some lovin', doggy style

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 19:57:11 PST 2007

I wish I could find the link to the CNN video news story about this, as it was one of the dumbest pieces of journalism I've seen, one of those soft and cuddly and nauseatingly treacly pieces with that damned "bless their little hearts" syrupy tone to it, like something an Army propaganda dept. would make (did make?) about how big-hearted our big lunkheads in Iraq really are. (The video showed how touchingly lovable the dogs could be -- they were even trained to hug the soldiers on command -- and I half expected the Army occupational therapiss to choke back a tear as they described how much joy the dogs would bring to stressed out soldiers around Xmas.) I enjoyed that the article I did send, however, pronounced dogs "the unsung heroes" of Iraq (ironic, given the poor NYT dog that Blackwater blasted to hell).

-B.

Joseph Catron wrote:

"Maybe I'm stupid, but why are "traumatized soldiers struggling to overcome mental health problems" still IN Iraq? In the Journal of Bad Ideas, that would merit an issue unto itself

B. wrote:

"The US army will for the first time send skilled therapy dogs to Iraq to help comfort traumatized soldiers struggling to overcome mental health problems."