[lbo-talk] Chindias

Alan E. DeBakey a.debakey at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 06:41:08 PST 2007

Doug keeps mentioning "Chindia". It has a "nice" ring to it, so while out this morning going to the bakery, this song was going through my head. I was trying how it might sound like, actually pronounced - since I have only seen it written so far, never heard it. It sure sounds a bit like:

Cinecittà

And so I looked it up:

Founded in 1937 by Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini,

the studios were bombed by the Western Allies during

World War II. In the 1950s, Cinecittà was the filming

location for several large American film productions

like Ben-Hur, and then became the studio most closely

associated with Federico Fellini. After a period of

near-bankruptcy in the 1980s, Cinecittà was privatized

by the Italian government. It hosted the 1991 Eurovision

Song Contest, after the venue was changed from Sanremo

due to security concerns. Cinecittà also hosts TV

productions, such as Grande Fratello, the Italian

version of Big Brother, where the Big Brother house is

built on Cinecittà's premises. On August 9, 2007, a fire

destroyed about 32,000 square feet of the Cinecittà lot

and surroundings. The historic part that houses the sets

of classics such as Ben-Hur were not damaged. [Wiki]

Which gets us back to India via Bollywood, and, somehow, also closer to home, via Hollywood, Disney, Wallmart, Wallstreet.... So the loop always closes - "in the end".

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

There are some real food price pressures out there - growing demand from "Chindia," not only in quantity but quality, combined with some serious yield problems that are at least in some part the result of climate change. Wall Street's habit of looking at core inflation - i.e., with food and energy stripped out - overlooks where the real ....

--------------------------------- Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.