[lbo-talk] European Racism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 22 18:08:15 PST 2007

As much as I dislike both liberalism and the Nation, the following is quite good; it is in particular something for Europhiles in the u.s. to ponder. Carrol

beneath the radar by Gary Younge

In Europe, Where's the Hate? [from the January 7, 2008 issue]

Over the past year or so the rural Italian idyll of Colle di Val d'Elsa has played host to a bitter battle for Enlightenment values. On one side, the hamlet's small Muslim community has raised a considerable amount of money to build a large mosque. Having gained the mayor's approval, the Muslims signed a declaration of cooperation with the town hall and even planted a Christmas tree at the site as a good-will gesture.

In response, other locals pelted them with sausages and dumped a severed pig's head at the site. On a wall near the site vandals daubed: "No Mosque," "Christian Hill" and "Thanks to the communists the Arabs are in our house!!!"

Such is the central dynamic in European race relations at present. It is probably not the dynamic you have heard most about. The most popular one making the rounds this side of the Atlantic involves hordes of Muslims, rabid with anti-Semitic and misogynistic views, running amok as they bomb, bully and outbreed their clueless liberal hosts in a bid to build a caliphate. -----

Full at http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080107/younge