[lbo-talk] Krugman

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 22 19:29:59 PST 2007

On Dec. 19, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Seth Ackerman wrote:

>That's not what I was saying. Productivity improvements were
>concentrated in a few sectors, but that's exactly what you would expect
>from a boom. Every boom is focused on particular sectors. The point is
>that the upsurge in productivity was certainly not caused by eliminating
>low-productivity activities but rather by large and genuine productivity
advances in major sectors of the economy.

>A footnote: All the productivity gains in retail came from new stores,
>not existing ones. It was basically Wal-Mart putting mom&pop
>out of business.

But since all labor in the retail sector is, by definition, unproductive, how can there possibly be any "productivity" gains in retail?

Shane Mage

"This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 30