[lbo-talk] E-dinosaurs _?

Alan E. DeBakey a.debakey at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 05:22:55 PST 2007

Somehow "seasonal":

A writes: [...] the transformations of the perception of <objects> with the development of other ways of communication. This perception is certainly different within different age groups (and even professions?). Is this perception changing? Ive experienced people I work with replying to my e-mails has if we were on chat, and young people being very formal - so something has to do with the interlocutor and/or with the situation. And what can we say about the greetings email messages?

B writes: I am sure that both the user and the context affect how the technology is used. When I was speaking to a colleague some time ago, he told me that in some of his research, young people described email as an outdated technology. When asked for a use case, one teenager replied "If I had to write a formal thank you to a friend of my parents". I would expect that any meaningful research in this arena would have to be very, very current.

C writes: I can echo that from a study we did earlier this year. We were told that email was something to contact grandparents. MySpace (when at the computer) and texting (when at school or on the go) were the way to reach peers.

-- Remember the days where you had to lick the backs on envelops? Wonderful! Sometimes I got a few in the box in one day. Some had even other stuff than words in it, too. Try that, digitally.

)(

--------------------------------- Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.