[lbo-talk] Terry Eagleton and the Gospels

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 23 21:14:17 PST 2007

A principal intellectual influence on Eagleton (as he says in the intro to After Theory) was my old friend Herbert McCabe (1926-2001). A Catholic theologian at Oxford and a member of the Order of Preachers (Dominicans), McCabe was a Thomist-Wittgensteinian-Marxist who learnt most of his Marxism from Eagleton and the Officials in N. Ireland. A good bit of his work has been published posthumously, notably the recent

The Good Life, a consideration of politics and ethics in the Aristotelian tradition also being worked by his friend Alasdair MacIntyre. A good bit of Eagleton's intro to the book on Jesus in the Verso Revolutions series come from McCabe. --CGE