[lbo-talk] Happy Newton's Day!

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 11:14:38 PST 2007

They didn't do burning at the stake after Bloody Mary, it felt Papist.

Newton would have loathed all Jews and especially atheists, but he was a big-time heretic in his own right, a Unitarian. That didn't mean he was a nice liberal (he was a cruel conservative, he'd have liked Thatcher) with anti-war bumper stickers on his Volvo; it meant he denied the doctrine of the Trinity, which would have been enough to get him fired from Cambridge and barred from government service. He was, in fact, a complete religious lunatic (even in the terms of his own time) who wrote long, passionate, and secret books about his wacko ideas. He apparently didn't think it was any accident he was born on Christmas Day either. Read Frank Manuel's beautifully written, totally accessible and nontechnical biography. For folks as want the scientific details, read Westfall's bio.