[lbo-talk] European Racism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 27 06:41:56 PST 2007

Charles Brown wrote:

> CB:
> The main typology of races ( leftover from Caucasoid, Negroid,
> Mongoloid , etc. in the encyclopedias from the early 1960's) originates
> in the European conquest of the globe as a rationale for that conquest
> based on Europeans' claim of superiority to other groups.

I agree with the whole of this account, but an important quibble here: "based on Europeans' claim of superiority to other groups" is seriously misleading. The claim of superiority ("assumption" might be better) was based on the conquest, rather than the conquest being based on the claim. There was no such claim to begin with. And in fact the _first_ racism was intra-UK and its victims were the Irish.

This is important because it points to the only strategy for eliminating racism: destroying its material basis. Attacking the attitude is pretty empty until the conditions (such as ghetto conditions) which endlessly regenerate those attitudes are disrupted.

And this is why the Oxford definition of racism is itself a serious instance of racism.

Carrol