[lbo-talk] Daughter of the West

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Dec 28 03:58:26 PST 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Tariq Ali's article in the most recent London Review of Books was cited by link in its entirety:

> http://www.lrb.co.uk/v29/n24/ali_01_.html

This is very good and very detailed. But it's also very long, and not quite as witty as Tariq usually is, so probably only central Asia nerds will keep at it the whole way through. So just for entertainment value, I wanted to note an amusing memoir detail that is is by no means representative of this long and serious article:

<quote>

[Why did Musharref declare an emergency when a deal had been already

been done? He began to think things like:]

What if the Supreme Court were now to declare his re-election by a

dying and unrepresentative assembly illegal? To ward off disaster, the

ISI had been preparing blackmail flicks: agents secretly filmed some of

the Supreme Court judges in flagrante. But so unpopular had Musharraf

become that even the sight of judicial venerables in bed might not have

done the trick. It might even have increased their support. (In 1968,

when a right-wing, pro-military rag in Lahore published an attack on

me, it revealed that I had attended sex orgies in a French country

house organised by [my] friend, the Jew Cohn-Bendit. All the fifty

women in the swimming-pool were Jewish. Alas, this was totally false,

but my parents were amazed at the number of people who congratulated

them on my virility.)

<unquote>

Michael