[lbo-talk] Creeping Fascism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Dec 31 11:21:10 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>

>>Contra Fromm, if fascism emerges in the U. S., it will be
>>justified using the rhetoric of individualism and freedom.
>

> Well it ain't fascism then, is it?
>
> Doug

I see no inherent incompatibility between American individualism and fascism. The fascists simply need to justify their political position in terms of protecting the individual and individual freedom. (I know we've had some debate about the definition of fascism, but I don't see collectivism as a necessary component of fascism.)

Miles