[lbo-talk] Young adults use public libraries more than any other age group

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:14:17 PST 2007

On Dec 31, 2007 8:11 PM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [From report: "The notion has taken hold in our
> culture that these wired-up, heavily gadgeted young
> folks are swimming in a sea of information and don't
> need [libraries]." -B.]

Good to hear. I liked this part:

"In many places, individual study carrels gave way to long tables

where patrons can interact. [..] 'Libraries are creating social

spaces.'"

I think for many, libraries evoke an image of a librarian shushing you. But one thing I'd desire from a library is a place to vigorously discuss ideas with strangers.

(Of course, it'd also be nice to let all books be free digitally, as is entirely possible now. But that's another subject...)

Tayssir