[lbo-talk] Young adults use public libraries more than any other age group

Bill Quimby wquimby at ecr.net
Mon Dec 31 14:40:45 PST 2007

This is an encouraging report, and I do not wish to rebut the results. Please note however that there are (yes, I know that they exist!) parents who do not have (or allow) Internet access in their homes. In some cases they either cannot afford computers (yes, it's true!) or they do not wish their kids to encounter what they consider to be spurious gobbleydeegook. In one case I know of the parents have a set of encyclopedias and a fairly large library, and insist that their children work with that.

Hence, I suggest, the "young" may be upping the library's statistics not because it's the library, but to get a step or two beyond parental control.

- Bill