[lbo-talk] Creeping Fascism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 16:00:32 PST 2007

--- Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote: The
> Kushite king, Piye, overthrew the yoke, conquered
> mighty Egypt and established
> a 100-year rule of black Pharaohs.

I.e., about 1/30th of Amcient Egyptian history. ;)

Really I think searching through ancient history using modern concepts such as "race" as guides is a bad, bad idea. I doubt the Egyptians cared much what color a person's skin was, other than as a possible marker that so-and-so isn't from around here.

I remember I got into an argument ages ago with some guy in the States who was really attached to the idea that the Egyptians were black (that is, had the appearance one today associates with African-Americans, people of largely West African descent). His main argument was that they were Africans who had preceded Arabs, and as everybody knows Africans are Negroes. Gaagh.

I mean, the people depicted in Egyptian art do not look they came from contemporary Nigeria. Actually they look a bit like modern Ethiopians (what a surprise, considering geography).

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping