[lbo-talk] Existential Risks

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 1 02:52:12 PST 2007

The reason is that most well developed technological societies are also undergoing completely uncontrolled development due to unregulated and unplanned economic infrastructures. And further that the international super-structures that might provide some coordination, control, and regulation needed to avoid these doomsday scenerios are thoroughly committed to neoliberal and de-centralized policies.

In other words, we will never be able to develop global policies needed to contain and reverse global climate change or any other theoretically managable global risks. The reason is our national and international policies that favor capital and privilage its needs over all others, no matter what those other needs might be.

So, I am pretty firmly convinced we are dead meat sooner or later, unless we overthrow capital once and for all.

CG **************

I couldn't agree more.

A CHILD'S PRAYER

Oh Lord I wish you could stop global warming 'cause the poles are melting and I've only started on growing Why must the eedolts keep BURNING things for power When the wind and sun are free as the waves of the deep blue sea and I'm on my knees wondering Why Lord aren't you in charge 'stead of all them fools who say It isn't happening Not here Relax Joe Six Have another beer

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,329692049-102285,00.html

A study by the world's leading experts says global warming will happen faster and be more devastating than previously thought

Robin McKie, science editor Sunday January 21, 2007 Observer

Global warming is destined to have a far more destructive and earlier impact than previously estimated, the most authoritative report yet produced on climate change will warn next week.....

Regards, Mike B)

http://happystiletto.blogspot.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather