[lbo-talk] MySQL to go public

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Feb 1 08:33:02 PST 2007

>On 2/1/07, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:
>
>>Instead of making snarky comments about free toasters and other
>>ephemera, I would hope the lefties on this list would take a closer
>>look at OSS as being an useful example of how economic life can be
>>organized (slightly) differently. But few people here seem to "get
>>it", Dwayne, Ravi, maybe others, and of course Chuck, who rightly
>>recognizes in it aspects of anarchism.

I don't get how the anarchism is different than claims about the invisible hand of adam smith. each person pursues their own desires and you get magikal things right?

what's the diff?

that's where you're losing me. it looks exactly like capitalism to me. you keep talking about profitablity. why? the point isn't if something can make a product, is it scaleable to an entire society?

you say you aren't making that claim -- that it's scaleable beyond software and intellectual property.

so, how is it a challenge to capitalism and not just an adjustment within capitalism? i'm happy to learn how so, but no one has explained how you would ditch the current economy and replace it with a FOSS based one. Moroever, none of you have answered the important question for any anarchist: the dangers of informal social control.

all societies need social control. please explain to me why people get out of the bed in the morning and create things for other people just because they want to -- or however it is that you envision this.

and you knwo why I ask? Because _I_ have an answer to this question. But it always astounds me that very few people who think they have the vision of the promised land have bothered to even think it through or even come up with a rudimentary sketch of how humans work, why they work, how they work together and how they don't, etc.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org