[lbo-talk] MySQL to go public

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 06:17:12 PST 2007

On 2/2/07, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> Whoever claimed it was a "challenge to capitalism"? I would indeed
> never argue that it is anything more than a minor adjustment to
> capitalism. If anything I have written suggests otherwise, then I
> didn't chose my words properly.

We can also compare free-libre software to universal health insurance as a challenge to capitalism.

Universal health insurance coexists with capitalism in most countries, so it's not exactly going to bring capitalism down single-handedly. In fact, like free software, its efficiencies are making more capitalists in the US interested in adopting it for the sake of competiveness, and for the sake of socializing costs. It's also cited by proponents and detractors alike as "the threat of a good example."

-- Andy