[lbo-talk] MySQL to go public

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 2 09:48:58 PST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 7:28 PM, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> Note that movies, books, music, etc, are quite similar in this
> respect. Hence the "Free Culture" movement.

Also small sectors. And if you give it all away, then programmers, filmmakers, writers, and musicians will never get paid for their work. Shouldn't they?

> But anarchists warn about this ancient line of discussion. David
> Graeber writes:
>
> - - - -
> Anarchist: Okay, then. There have been all sorts of successful
> experiments: experiments with worker's self-management, like
> Mondragon; economic projects based on the idea of the gift economy,
> like Linux; all sorts of political organiza- tions based on consensus
> and direct democracy...
>
> Skeptic: Sure, sure, but these are small, isolated examples. I'm
> talking about whole societies. [...]
>
> The dice are loaded. You can't win. Because when the skeptic says
> "society," what he really means is "state," even "nation-state."

No. I gave three examples - the production and distribution of peaches, health care, and transportation. By the first, I meant the entire primary sector (food, raw materials); by the second and third, I meant the secondary and tertiary sectors (vehicles, simple and complex services, etc.). That's not the "nation-state" - it's most of what we live on.

Doug