[lbo-talk] What's the matter with Bean Town?

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 3 03:48:01 PST 2007

On 2/3/07, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> As a native of Salem, Mass. (a place haunted even now by the 1692 witch
> trials and their death count of 20) I've always been impressed by the unique
> capacity of Massachusetts -- proud arch-rational home of Harvard, MIT, etc.
> -- to concoct mass panics out of nothing. The dumb PR stunt described below
> was rolled out in 10 cities around the country, and Boston was the only site
> that freaked out in a frenzy of Homeland Security hyperventilation. Pretty
> pathetic for a burg that so prides itself on Bunker Hill, Old Ironsides, the
> Boston Tea Party and all those other musty icons of national fortitude.

Some in the media seemed pretty angry that the prank suspects just wanted to discuss hair style history, at the press conference. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ytr2Oyv4&eurl=>

"Would you mind taking this seriously?" snapped a reporter.

The irony is the media's well-known to have less journalistic integrity than a Comedy Central "fake news show"... Seriousness doesn't necessarily imply seriousness.

Tayssir