[lbo-talk] Web 2.0

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sun Feb 4 11:50:32 PST 2007

On 2/4/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> quoted the FT's blog:

> But the online encyclopaedia is less eager than the Davos panellists
> to discuss what will comes after the second flowering of the
> internet. John Markoff, Stanford lecturer and New York Times
> columnist pointed out that the term "web3.0" has been banned in
> perpetuity by the Wikipedia community.

This is kinda snarky. Markoff and the other elites partaking of the rarefied Alpine aires of Davos can speculate ad nauseum about what it is in the pipeline, but back in the reality-based community "Web 3.0" doesn't exist yet;. the expression has no meaning. An article under this title would be pure speculation on the part of whoever contributed it -- and unverifiable.

If and when the concept gathers currency, I am sure the page will be fleshed out; "banned in perpetuity" is just a gratuitous snub.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam