[lbo-talk] Windows Vista as Neoliberal Instrument

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sun Feb 4 12:14:52 PST 2007

On 2/4/07, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> So how do Linspire owners run all those applications that are written to
> run on Mac or Windows?

Very simply: they can't.

However, the Linux community provides a vast array of substitutes, including "office" clones which read and write (albeit imperfectly) files produced by their MS counterparts.

There are some limitations to this; in some cases the substitutes may not offer all the functionality of the Mac/Windows counterparts. Photoshop and Quicken come to mind as well as probably quite a few vertical market applications.

As for games, I don't, so I will let someone else tackle that topic.

Here is a guy whose father asked him to install Vista. He surreptitiously installed Linux (Ubuntu) instead and his father, who thinks he is now running Vista, is raving about it: http://www.degredo.net/

Ha!

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam