[lbo-talk] "Idiocracy"

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Feb 4 14:14:30 PST 2007

Carl Remick wrote:
> I used part of the LBO list's downtime productively by watching Mike Judge's
> "Idiocracy," a film that was long held prisoner by 20th Century Fox and has
> now escaped to DVD. This is the greatest dystopian movie since Terry
> Gilliam's "Brazil." It makes "Mad Max" look like "Brigadoon."

I almost rented Idiocracy on Friday night, but I opted for "A Scanner Darkly" instead. This is the latest animated film by Richard Linklater featuring Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Rory Cohrane, Robert Downey, Jr, and Woody Harrelson. This is another adaption of a novel by Philip K. Dick.

It's set in the near future Los Angeles. A new drug called Substance D has addicted 20% of the population. The main characters in the movie are bunch of slackers and drug addicts. It's kind of like Slacker meets the Big Lebowski meets your favorite movie about paranoia.

The movie features rotoscoping, a kind of animation based on artists drawing over the film that has already been shot with live actors and edited.

An excellent film. Very true to the spirit of Philip Dick. Excellent acting and beautiful visually. I don't understand why there hasn't been more of a buzz about this film, but I really like it.

As a lifelong SF fan, I'm just happy to be living in an era where TV and film are doing the genre justice.

I'm trying to forgive the Superbowl for bumping the new episode of Battlestar Galactica to next week.

I think I'm rooting for the Colts.

Chuck