[lbo-talk] "Idiocracy"

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 17:54:11 PST 2007

I'm rooting for the colts, and put some money on em too. But without strong conviction for them like I had for the steelers last year. Being from Philly, the 4-team city with the longest drought of championships, has often been trying for a fan; I've broadened out to rooting for rust belt teams in general, so, the steelers in football, the cavs and pistons in basketball (only good teams in the east anyway), etc. Indianapolis is a hell of a rusted up city, but, it's not really connected to the team's identity. But one thing I appreciate about them is how they're the dominant offense in this era of football, amazing record, but their great qb constantly chokes in the clutch. Makes them an underdog today no matter what the touts say. Last week me and Jane MacAlevey were rooting for em like crazy at the bar but it was hard for me not to crack up laughing at how manning constantly almost freezes up, fumbles, throws an interception, etc. Poor guy, the pressure really gets to him.

The NYT sports section today is continuing the papers probing coverage of whats happening to NFL players physically. I think its horrible whats happening to alot of these guys and looks like it's just gonna get worse. But the game is just getting better!, at least making up for the NBAs suckiness these days. They have the weakest players union in pro sports, the nfl guys.

On the previous topic, I want to see Idiocracy; I'm really surprised folks haven't been talking about children of men on here yet.

J -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070204/d720e3f4/attachment.htm>