[lbo-talk] Sexpresso coffee shops take Seattle by storm

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 19:36:21 PST 2007

I can't remember who mentioned "Idiocracy" on the list last week, and I don't mean for this mention of it to appear as an endorsement as it really is a bad movie, but this post reminds me of it. In the film, which takes place 500 years in the future, Starbucks is still around, but it has evolved into some weird convenience sex-shop, where a "latte" is actually a handjob. It's supposed to make a statement about the current trajectory of US culture, but until now I didn't think it made any sense.

I guess it's just another version of what people in Dallas used to call "Juice Bars" before there were a lot of Jamba Juice franchises around to create confusion (i.e. Blue laws in the area make it unlawful to have fully nude dancers in places that serve alcohol. I haven't been to one so I'm unsure of whether they actually serve any juice but I doubt the patrons care one way or the other.)