[lbo-talk] Noam does New York

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 11:41:08 PST 2007

I also see that Elizabeth Spelke, will be speaking later this week. She is very interesting and could be said to be working with a hypothesis close to sociobiology if the word was not such a scare term. See especially her paper with Marc Hauser (a collaborator of Chomsky's on his paper on the evolution of the language faculty.) _Evolutionary and developmental foundations of human knowledge: A case study of mathematics_ http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~lds/pdfs/hauser2004b.pdf

She is speaking on a topic that she debated with Pinker, and smashed him in my opinion. She just knows so much more about this subject than he does.

The debate between Pinker and Spelke can be found here THE SCIENCE OF GENDER AND SCIENCE http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/debate05/debate05_index.html

The Controversy About Women in Science: A Sober Look February 9, 2007. Heyman Center Common Room, East Campus. 10am to 4:30pm

Elizabeth S. Spelke, Professor of Psychology, Harvard University and Virginia Valian, Professor of Psychology, Hunter College

Friday, 9 February

the Heyman Center Common Room

Session One: 10am to 12:30pm Session Two: 2pm to 4:30pm

Panelists:

Trish Culligan

Geraldine Downey

Norma Graham

David Helfand

Julia Hirshberg

William Mende

No tickets or reservations

Co-sponsored by the Office of the Vice Provost for Diversity Initiatives