[lbo-talk] 'I hate Macs'

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Feb 5 11:42:45 PST 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Computers are especially path dependent, because their very functioning is
> determined by line-specific formats of their codes. Although Mac was an
> early innovator - or rather adopter of the windows system (initially
> developed by Zenith, if memory serves), it lost to M$ because it created too
> high entry barriers too early in the game for its line of product in the
> formative stage of the industry. Stated differently, it fell prey to its
> own efforts to protect the ownership of its line by copy-protection and high
> pricing in the stage when markets shares were largely up for grabs. At the
> same time, M$-DOS was available virtually for free, and many of DOS
> application could be easily bootlegged, because of weak or non-existent copy
> protection.

Exactly! I used to run a Mac-based undergraduate computing lab in the early 1990s. This was the lab were The Onion was born.

I wanted to buy Mac products in the mid 90s, but the cost of the computers were too much for my salary. I think I even applied for an Apple loan and got rejected. Eventually Gateway had a credit program and I bought the computer I'm using now.

I wanted to be a Mac user, but Apple didn't want me.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/