[lbo-talk] BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 5 14:14:44 PST 2007

> One of my favorites is "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul," Fassbinder's
version of one of Sirk's Hollywood movies.

A film that breaks my heart (and I laugh at KING LEAR).

ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS. Fassbinder used the destruction of a television set as a visual link between the two. Fassbinder knew Sirk and even persuaded to direct three short films with students. Sirk loved fassbinder and his work.

Todd Haynes made a third version with FAR FROM HEAVEN.

The actor who played Ali was Fassbinder's recently dumped lover. He later committed suicide in prison (two of Fassbinders lovers killed themselves -- all three appear in his films).

Fassbinder had to walk him through the entire performance, intonation, gestures, the works.

Fassbinder only found out about his suicide a few years afterward during the filming of QUERELLE. Fassbinder dedicated the picture to him, and then died just as post-production was completed.

Brian