[lbo-talk] MySQL to go public

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Wed Feb 7 11:31:18 PST 2007

At 07:34 PM 1/31/2007, Doug Henwood wrote:
>The biz press and the Federal Reserve's beige book is full of
>anecdotes about how skilled labor is in short supply. Enjoy it while
>it lasts!

I don't know if you want to relocate Chuck, but Doug's right. I've been feeling out these recruiters on the issue and it seems to be about right from what they're saying. Since I pulled the "everything you've ever breathed on" stunt with the resume, I can't beat them off with a stick. I'm not complaining, but I'm stressing out trying to keep up with the work that's paying the bills and do phone interviews, screening tests, etc.

Out of curiosity, I stuck dupes of my resumes online, with one set indicating a willingness to relocate. They are now willing to pay relocation expenses, with recruiters footing the bill for that, and the companies interested will fly you to the interview. So, yeah, enjoy it while it lasts, but it looks like some of the major tech centers, especially south of San Fran (Cupertino, Santa Cruz, etc.) are once again practically begging for warm bodies and finding that they have to "reach out" (in the words of one recruiter) to get the talent they need.

That job I sent you yesterday, btw, is also looking for JR. PHP developers. IT says Sr. but they've apparently changed it b/c they can't find enough Sr. developers. So, she's putting together a package, with relocation, help finding temp housing, and has even gone to the trouble of convincing me that my son will find work doing what he wants. It is really quite bizarre b/c every time I've been on the market, it's sucked.

And Doug, really, is this all because of Web 2.0? Is it also the exuberance associated with all those huge Wall St. bonuses, spurring investment and business expansion?

At any rate, as you said: enjoy it while it last, stick your money in the bank, and be prepared for the fallout, I say. :)

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org