[lbo-talk] The Fall, Buzzcocks promote Mitsubishi SUVs

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Feb 7 15:32:02 PST 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:47:21 -0000 "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> Maybe I am missing something, but I don't remember these punk bands
> being
> hostile to debauched excess, Iggy Pop is about the age range that
> Carnival
> Cruise is aiming at,

Well Iggy Pop by now is practically a senior citizen, however the Carnival Cruise ads (at least the ones shown in the US, I wouldn't know about the UK) are supposedly to be selling what we call in America, "good, clean, wholesome family fun."

> and Marc Bolan's commitment to the revolution
> was
> pretty tongue in cheek - indeed John Peel made him the archetype of
> a sell
> out in his memoirs. We are all getting older.

You said it. When Joe Strummer was my age, he was already dead.

> Jim and Wendy wrote:
>
> > IMO the use of the
> > famous Buzzcocks' song for an AARP is not quite as over the top
> > as Carnival Cruise's use of Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" in their
>
> Here in Ireland, T Rex's "Children of the Revolution" is being used
> in
> an ad for a bank.

Clash songs have already been used in ads in the US. But I don't recall any of their political songs being so used. But anything is possible.