[lbo-talk] WTF squared

John Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 09:27:15 PST 2007

On 2/8/07, bitch at pulpculture.org <bitch at pulpculture.org> wrote:

> So? Anyone know? Do recruiters sometimes work on spec like this, running
> across resume, thinking it fits with an open posish, they approach company
> with candidate and try to get bonus for bringing candidate to their attention?
>
> Any klewbyfour would be helpful. TX

I just went through a round of applying for technical jobs and I would get recruiters sending me positions at companies I had already applied to. I always informed them that I found the job interesting but they should know before they submit me for it that my resume was already in the system at that company. In my case they always said "thanks, but no thanks"; I think they'd be stupid not to, especially in your case, because the company can always say "this candidate has already applied for the job" and refuse to pay a commission. It doesn't seem like any effort on their part is worth it. But, if you've told them this and they still go ahead and submit your resume, I don't think it's bad to have your face drawn to a hiring department's attention.

Of course, this is only anecdotal evidence. I found when applying to jobs that almost everyone I asked only had anecdotal evidence, because most people don't have a lot of experience with the end-to-end job-search process; we just don't do it that often. The best advice I got was from my boss, who had a lot of experience reviewing resumes and conducting interviews. He did an edit and complete re-write on my resume, making dramatic changes; immediately after putting the new resume up on the job sites I started getting flooded with inquiries.

The gist of his editorial comments was this: since resumes are searched by computer nowadays, it doesn't matter how lengthy they are as long as they contain all the right keywords. In fact, because people read through resumes after having done a keyword search, they are starting to take the place of cover letters. So one's resume should focus on one-paragraph narrative descriptions of key projects rather than just a bulleted list of duties and technologies.

-- John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air--however slight--lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- Justice William O. Douglas