[lbo-talk] meta-analysis: unions, recruiters, etc. :)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 8 15:34:25 PST 2007

bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:

> So, in all this, what I've been working on in the back o' me pea brain is
> how this would work. If Cobble's right, then the nexus between employer and
> employee at the point of employment -- is it possible that this is where to
> build a new model for unionizing? Mostly, watching the way recruiters have
> become this broker -- how it's been privatized, etc.

You are describing hiring halls -- as used for a century at the waterfront. in construction. and I believe maritime unions. About 25 years ago I was chatting with an SEIU organizer (also ph.d. in econ from U of Mass (Amherst) who suggested the only way to organize fast food places was through hiring halls.

Carrol