[lbo-talk] Sam Smith on Doug Henwood

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 9 12:43:28 PST 2007

bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:

> Seems related to me: you're not worthy if that worth is mediated via one's
> parents' social position. You have to *earn* it -- and then we pretend that
> this *earning it* had nothing to do with all the connections one's social
> position/money bought.

Popular opinion is one thing, but those who inherited a few hundred million from their great grandpa and live/lived quiet lives are quite another thing.

Think of the late Paul Mellon (Paul Mellon III?) who lived his whole life as a 20th-c 18th-c country gentleman. Someone ought to do a book on the many who are born wealthy but are not among those who make daily headlines.

Carrol