[lbo-talk] Sam Smith on Doug Henwood

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 9 15:20:54 PST 2007

>my feeling is that today
>both grad students & faculty spen less time in coffee shops, bars, &
>parties talking to each other (as in Whitman's loaf and invite my soul),
>& if this true, it represents an intellectual loss. Books have a real
>effect only within a rich oral culture.
>
>Carrol

Same with prosecutors, defense attorneys, and reporters. That also represents a loss. A bar downtown here used to have a hotline to the LA Times editor's desk because reporters were always in there. The place was sold a year or two ago and has now re-opened with a pirate theme. A prosecutor having a drink with a defense attorney down the street from the courthouse is unheard of anymore.