[lbo-talk] Culture

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 16:42:20 PST 2007

On 2/9/07, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> Dennis Claxton wrote:
> > Sometime in the last 20 years or so in the U.S. "I'm so busy" became
> > a remarkably frequent reply to "how's it going?"
>
> I'm too much detached from campus to know, but my feeling is that today
> both grad students & faculty spen less time in coffee shops, bars, &
> parties talking to each other (as in Whitman's loaf and invite my soul),
> & if this true, it represents an intellectual loss. Books have a real
> effect only within a rich oral culture.

My local Iranian friends get together every Tuesday, read Persian poetry, talk politics, and eat. Only one of them is an academic (my Persian teacher, who is writing a dissertation on Persian love stories and erotic poetry), and the rest work for the Ohio EPA, the state government, etc. It would be good to have culture like that. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>