[lbo-talk] Sam Smith on Doug Henwood

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Feb 9 19:00:40 PST 2007

bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:

> I'd start with a reading of Jo Freeman's classic, The Tyranny of
> Structurelessness. Freeman attributes, in some part, the breakdown of the
> women's liberation movement to the cutting down of anyone who was smart,
> had a solid domain of knowledge, and wasn't afraid to use it.
>
> http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm

Yuck! I'm so sick of people citing this essay like it is the be all, end all analysis of small group behavior. Skimming it once again I'm reminded of what a confused piece this was. What's more annoying is that people now cite the essay for whatever axe they have to grind towards other people.

You folks are discussing to breakdown of intellectual culture and face-to-face discussion, but when people cite this essay I just throw my hands up and ask why people can't make their point with more contemporary examples. I just don't see how an essay on the dynamics of early 70s women's consciousness-raising groups is very relevant in 2007.

Chuck