[lbo-talk] hard work

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 9 19:37:19 PST 2007

On 2/10/07, Tayssir John Gabbour <tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Business world commentators sometimes wonder about it too. Why do
> wealthy people work crazy hours?

Oh, I shouldn't leave the impression that hard work is somehow weird. Michael Albert criticizes the left for adopting the stance that work is something to be avoided. However, it depends on what kind of work it is, and how it's done.

Management lit is full of anecdotes of employees who do crazy amounts of useful work, outside of necessity. (For whatever individual reasons.)

Many prefer uncompensated work, which is a luxury enjoyed by people with sufficient privilege. Same with self-directed work.

I believe this understanding is useful for those who advocate reduction in work hours. (As I'm sure we know, US citizens spend more time commuting than vacationing, on average...)

Tayssir